Sunday, July 4, 2010

July 4, 2010
(T-14 days)
It’s been about a week or so since my last post and not much has transpired on the trip. I’ve been a little busy with work travel so I have not had much extra time to post to the blog.

My trip to Kodiak Island is a bit here there and everywhere so I’ll attempt to bore you with my itinerary: Start in Knoxville on Sunday July 18th at approx noon and drive to Atlanta airport (4 hours).

Fly from Atlanta GA to Phoenix AZ, 4 hour flight with a 50 minute layover until next flight.

Fly from Phoenix AZ to Anchorage AK, 5 hour flight and arrive at Midnight on the 18th.

Fly from Anchorage AK to Kodiak Island AK, 1 hour jump (yeah for a short flight) and arrive as some insane early hour of the day on July 19th.

Once in Kodiak I’ll probably walk to the harbor and wander the docks until I find the boat I’m on. The name of the boat and length of walk escape me and by the time I get there I’ll be running on caffeine, sugar and airplane sleep, so the walk and search might do me some good. Of course the part of the trip from the Kodiak airport to the boat can be planned out by my buddy Doug but at this moment I’m not so sure so I’m expecting to walk. It’s either walk, more walking, or even more walking, or catch a taxi, if they exist on the island again not so sure of what to expect.

That’s all I’ve got for now, stay tuned for more rambling blog to come, when time permits.

Right on.
J

I can't forget a plug for my favorite camera shop: www.CameraLandNY.com

4 comments:

  1. Jeremy,
    Calling the Kodiak Airport and airport is like calling the fast shop at the gas station a supermarket.
    St Paul Harbor is where you're headed and the Emerald Rose (see the back of your 5th Annual Once in a Lifetime Fishing Trip sweatshirt) is the boat you should look for

    ReplyDelete
  2. 14 days and counting. Time to get the gear packed and shipped. I'll make sure to pack a set of rain gear for you Jeremy (Tommy was kind enough to drop his off for you) as the weather forcast is and has been wet and from 47* to 55*. When you pack, think layers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alrighty, 5 days and counting. Gear is already in Kodiak. Art has been in Kodiak since Sunday and Riley is going over today. Weather forcast looks most promising. The Ocean Garmin Nav. came in yesterday. Getting pumped.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crew line up:
    Art - Captain
    Riley - First Mate and Art's son
    Doug & Chris - Trip coordinators (our 5th year)
    Vinny - NY Fishing buddy of Chris' (nice guy, experianced fisherman) First year
    Jeremy - Vigin Alaskan fisherman, First Year.

    This is the 5th Annual Once in a Lifetime Fishing Trip. Each year it is Art, Riley, Doug, Chris and 2 lucky folks who fill in slots 5 & 6. Art & Riley share the berth, Doug & Chris share a 6.5' x 3.5' cabin with 2.5' x 6.5' bunk beds. The 2 lucky annual fisherman get a choice of the galley table and the floor in front of the stove (or sleep up top on the sun deck if it is a clear evening).

    Chris called me this morning that he has already marked 70 fishing spots on the Garmin 640 and has figured out how to use it. To say he's excited would be the understatement of the decade.

    All gear has arrived in Kodiak (confirmed by Art yesterday) and the 70 pounds of rigs that arrived late for last year are there waiting for us. We shipped more than enough rods and reels as in years past 2 rods have snapped (One while Riley was fighting an 80*+ Halibut and one while Chris was fighting a 196* Halibut) keep the rod tips down (Yes, both fish were still landed).

    We leave JFK in 44 hours and arrive in Anchorage at 2:25PM Alaska time on Monday. Looking forward to seeing Art's wife Martha. I'm thinkin' she'll have a nice picnic planned for us (we're so spoiled). Then 6:25 flight to Kodiak and we're ready to go. Sunsets around 11PM so we'll have plenty of time to get it all together. Weather pattern looks to be pretty good by Kodiak standards (only 20-60% chance of rain everyday and winds down under 20 MPH.) Seas should be fine by Northeast standards, but we can get used to snotty seas easily.

    See you soon

    ReplyDelete