Tuesday, July 6, 2010

July 6 ( T - 12 days )

The 4th of July weekend has passed and it is time to get ready for the big trip. I spoke with Doug today about shipping our gear and junk to AK and I need to get on the ball. I guess the fog can roll in pretty quick and prevent deliveries so the farther ahead I can send my stuff the better. I hope to ship most of my clothing so all I've got to travel with is my laptop and an extra pair of boxers. The weather links have it cooler than I thought so it is going to be more jeans and sweatshirts (thanks to Doug I'm covered on that subject) than shorts and t-shirts. A current low of 41 and high of 51 degrees is not anywhere near the current 94 degrees it is in Knoxville so its going to be cold.

I've found out that in past years the boat needed some work to get it sea worthy so I might pack the trusty leatherman tool, not like that is going to do much but it makes my inner MacGyver feel better. Fishing gear and tackle is being provided by those on the trip that have more than me and some to share. I'm also borrowing a set of foul weather gear so I can try to stay dry while fishing. I don't think we're talking massive waves like on the "Deadliest Catch" tv show but who knows...... I certainly don't have a clue.

The roster for this years trip is the following: Art, boat owner, captain and all around boss. If he says it then it's the law. It is his boat after all. Riley is Art's son and second in command as if he says it then his father probably told him to. Doug, mastermind behind the annual trip and the only person I could choose out of a police line up, not that we'll be in one but he's the only person I know. Chris, a friend of Doug's and I think he's been on this trip in the past. Year 2, 3 and 4, I've got no idea but not a rookie like myself. Vinny, fishing friend of Doug's and again I have no idea of how many other trips he's been on but it is more than me. Lastly there is me and if you can't figure it out by this paragraph, I've got no idea who these people are and how many times they've been on this trip. I'll let you know more when I get to Alaska and can't turn back.

That's it for today's posting. If you've got comments and want to add something, there should be a link at the bottom of the posting for you to use. I'm going to try to start adding pictures so you can see my stuff, such as the smoking sweatshirt I received as part of my experience. More to come....

Right on.
J

again my favorite link, www.cameralandny.com

No comments:

Post a Comment